In the middle of a wave of personal cancellations recent weeks of big names ranging from Microsoft to Google and the rise in covid-19 cases caused by the omicron variant, CES 2022, the world’s largest technology exhibition, is canceling one day from its schedule.
In an announcersOn New Year’s Eve, the Association of Consumer Technologies announced that CES 2022 in Las Vegas will only take place launched from 5 to 7 January as an “additional security measure” to its current covid-19 protocols. Given the number of technology companies and media houses, including Gizmodo, who gave up leaving in person in recent weeks the move has come as no surprise.
If nothing else, it is a reflection of the intense conflict between work i health—Both are important, although I would argue that in this case CES is less – which is currently being played in society.
In this case, the Consumer Technology Association seems to be making a stubborn and reckless statement: The show must continue despite the furious spread of the virus. On Tuesday, the United States reported a seven-day average of 265,427 new covid-19 cases, a new record. Two days later, on Thursday, he broke the same record again with an average of 355,990 infections.
Except stating your own Covid-19 security protocols—Which, to be honest, include vaccine and mask requirements– The Association of Consumer Technologies did not mention the record number of cases reported in the United States this week. However, it is stated that more than 2,200 exhibitors confirmed that they will personally attend the event.
Namely, the association stated that 143 additional companies have applied for personal presentations in the last two weeks. Earlier this week, officials said that personal cancellations accounted for only 10% of the exhibition space.
“As the most influential technology event in the world, CES is steadfast in its promise to be a gathering place for product display and discussion of ideas that will ultimately make our lives better,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Technology Association. a statement. “We are shortening the show to three days and we have introduced comprehensive health measures for the safety of all those present and participants.”
It looks like tmany small and medium-sized companies are still present here. In addition, major exhibitors such as LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung continue to perform in person.
Believe me, I have nothing against CES and I appreciate what the organizers have she made safety and health part of the conversation around the event. me too as a technology, and I’m looking forward to seeing all the great new TVs debut in a few days. But I just find it disappointing that despite the seriousness of the current health situation, there are still some entities that claim that things can go the same way as in the past.
We all know by now that this is not true.